If you love fresh produce, Mount Gambier is a wonderful place to eat through the seasons. We are privileged to have top quality suppliers of fresh fruit and veg as well as some great restaurants and cafes.
With summer on the way, it’s time to think about getting out and enjoying local cuisine. Here are a few places that we love and we’re sure you will too:
Try some local wines
Mount Gambier has recently become a premium destination for wineries and cellar doors. Coonawarra, just to the north, is also a prime destination for wine lovers.
- Coonawarra: Coonawarra is no newcomer to fine wine. This region has been exporting fortified wine since the 19th century and many of its famous wineries have been established for seventy years or more. Coonawarra is a great place to enjoy a cellar door tasting, book a walking tour, or have a special meal made from locally produced ingredients.
- Caroline Hills: Closer to home, Caroline Hills has been making fine wine since the 90s. Focusing on pinot noir and pinot gris, Mount Gambier’s handcrafted wine destination also boasts a cellar door and stunning surrounding gardens.
- Herbert Vineyard: Another homegrown treat, Herbert Vineyard has specialised in fine wines and olive oils since 1996.
A special meal out
Mount Gambier has no shortage of great places to eat.
- Cafe Melzar: This is one of our favourite places to have breakfast, lunch, or just a top-quality coffee and a chat. Cafe Melzar has a vegan menu and a kids menu so everyone can enjoy some time in their cosy Engelbrecht Lane location.
- The Barn: The Barn is a historic local setting, a place to stay, and an awesome steakhouse. The proprietors pride themselves on only sourcing the highest quality Hereford cattle for the best quality steaks. With a selection of wine to fit the quality of the steak, The Barn shouldn’t be missed.
- Wild Ginger: Mount Gambier is also home to fabulous international cuisine. Make sure to drop into Wild Ginger if you’re craving Thai food. This local venue has been a favourite for five years.
Thanks to the rich farmland around Mount Gambier, we have some of the best food available to us to take home and cook.
- The Big Lobster: Known to us locals as ‘Larry’, the huge fibreglass lobster is a must-see in Mount Gambier. Not just one of Australia’s best ‘big things’ sculptures, Larry is also home to a market that sells fresh rock lobster (among countless other delicacies). Visit Larry and you can also dine at his award-winning seafood restaurant.
- Limestone Coastal Pantry: This establishment bridges the gap between restaurant and market. While the Limestone Coast Pantry is a first rate restaurant they also sell a range of the best preserves and packaged meals around. They also cater and sell scrumptious hampers for decadent gifts or just to treat yourself.
- She’s Apples Market: A local success story, most Mount Gambier residents are familiar with She’s Apples Market, which has been the leading supplier of fresh local produce since 1989. With a second location now in Gawler, it’s only a matter of time before they take over South Australia with their superior local produce. They also sell delicious dried fruits, yoghurts, cheeses, pasta sauces, and a range of other goodies.
- The Apple Farm: Located at Mount Gambier Point, the Apple Farm gives you the unique opportunity to pick your own delicious apples to take home and enjoy. While the apple picking is seasonal, there is still a lovely little tea room that operates all year. It’s also a stunning wedding venue for something truly different.
Have we missed any of your favourite places to eat or get food in Mount Gambier? Feel free to join in and recommend your hidden gems. We always love to spread the word about our amazing town and its world-class fresh produce.