Christmas is on the way and if you are anything like us, you will be thinking about ways to bring everyone gifts without breaking the bank. The good news is there are plenty of fun homemade Christmas presents you can create on a budget that will delight your recipients.
Here are some fun gift ideas for this year’s festive season:
Go green with plants and flowers
Every home can benefit from some greenery.
- Succulent bowls: Succulents are hardy little plants and a succulent bowl is a pretty addition to any home without being a chore to look after. Here’s a great guide to creating cute little bowls for your loved ones. It’s fun, easy to do and looks impressive.
- Homemade bouquets: Flowers are always in fashion. Why not give some an extra personal touch by creating your own bouquet at home? Mount Gambier has its very own floral art club so you can boost your skills.
For the kids
Kids toys can be expensive. Why not make personalised toys at home?
- Plush toys: If you enjoy stitching, there are lots of fun ideas online for creating your own plush toys at home. Get creative and use up old fabric and offcuts to save money on buying expensive new stuffed toys. Kids will love their unique homemade gift and will treasure it for years to come. Check out the newly opened Anoha Museum in Berlin for inspiration, which features 150 animals all made from found materials.
- Toys and play: There are plenty of other toy ideas for kids as well. From activity boards to playsets, from peg dolls to tents, take a look at what you have around and let your creativity flow. Make your own instruments, put some art into a one-off storybook or create a kit for a scavenger hunt.
Christmas is all about food and people always love homemade goodies!
- Homemade treats: Chocolates, sourdough bread, shortbread and fruitcake are ideal DIY gifts at Christmas. Whether you go for an old family recipe or take a look online, everyone will always enjoy a home-cooked treat. For a festive touch try making candy canes or gingerbread men. An entire gingerbread house is sure to be appreciated; there are kits you can buy these days to make the process less labour-intensive.
- Seasonal condiments: Fruit chutneys or jams cooked up with local produce are another great gift. Your loved ones will be impressed with your skills while they enjoy quality Mount Gambier produce. There are plenty of online guides to help you along.
- Hampers: You can go even further and turn your treats into a hamper. Hampers can be filled with whatever you can think of so they make great gifts for families. Fruit or sweets, even toiletry hampers can all make perfect gifts with a personalised touch. Or you can head to the Limestone Coast Pantry for some local Mount Gambier specialty hampers.
Homemade gifts can be whatever you want to make. There are lots of lists online with stacks of crafty gift ideas from bath bombs to embroidery and pottery to leather craft. There is a craft style to suit all tastes and skill levels.
You could even consider joining a local arts and crafts class to hone your skills. Mount Gambier Chat n Craft is a friendly group that’s all about doing crafts and catching up with friends. Otherwise, keep your eyes on the community calendar for any upcoming classes or events.
Whatever works for you, homemade gifts are a charming way to show others that you love and appreciate them.
Do you have any more fun ideas for DIY gifts? Let us know what you like to make for your loved ones or what they might have made for you.